QuickBooks Database Server Manager installation is mandatory because without installation you cannot use multiple version of QuickBooks Desktop software. You can get in contact with the host computer and perform multi-user task. Hence, here in this post, we are going to show you step by step guide to teach you to install, update and setup of QuickBooks database server manager. However, you can seek expert help in case you are not sure that you will be able to perform this operation also your time and effort will be saved.
The QBDBM is an essential aspect of QuickBooks software. It allows you to manage the QuickBooks Server for multi-user access. This database manager tool creates a network data file (.ND) for any desired company file on the local host system.
What QuickBooks Database Server Manager tool Does?
It can operate the following tasks for you:
- Scan the QuickBooks company file which is compulsory for multi-user access.
- Study the local storage device to detect a new company file automatically.
NOTE: The QuickBooks Desktop requires for optimum file performance on the network, you can install and set up this tool on the computer where the company files are located.
The below given image shows how QuickBooks Database server manager tool looks like:
Some Important Points
- Add a User: Each QuickBooks versions will add a user when the QB Database Server Manager is installed. (For Example- QBDataServiceUser28 for 2018 and QBDataServiceUsers27 for 2017).
- Multiple Versions: If you are installing various versions of Database Server Manager it will grant you only numerous versions of processes, but it cannot provide multiple versions of the software.
- Dump that the year’s database services are running in the background when the Database Server Manager works for every year. Make sure that the functions of the Windows interface which are accessible via the Windows and the “Control Panel” than this service are labeled as QuickBooks DBXX, where the XX shows the number of versions (example- “27” is for QB Desktop 2018 and “28” for QuickBooks desktop 2019).
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDBMS): QBDBMS created a Network Data files and stored the company files on the host computer. If you wish to use multiple versions of QB Desktop, then you should install every version of the Database Server Manager.
- You may install the QB Database Server Manager in a chronological order from oldest to newest for each version when you want to use multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop.
How to Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
- Double click on the installer for your QuickBooks.
- Start the installation of the Wizard.
- Click on Next and if the computer is connected to the Internet and able to download an update. If not then click on No and then Next.
- Close other open programs and then click on Next.
- Read the terms of the Software License Agreement. If you are satisfied, then select I accept the terms in the license agreement, and then click on Next.
- Select Custom or Network Options.
- Select the installation type:
- Choose I’ll be using QuickBooks on this computer, and I’ll be storing…if you run the QuickBooks program on the computer.
- Accept the condition: I will not be using QuickBooks on this computer…, if you will only store QuickBooks data on this computer.
Note: If you choose I will not be using QuickBooks on this computer…, then you do not need to type the license number.
- Click on Yes, allow access.
- Enter the License Number and Product Number
- After it has been installed then setup the Database Server Manager
How to Update QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
Occasionally, it may be mandatory to update the Database Server Manager. Generally, it is compulsory when a new year of QuickBooks Desktop is installed on the workstations or if a critical update to a current year is released.
- Download the patch from here yo Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release.
NOTE: Patch of workstation and server is the same.
- I strongly recommend restarting the server after the patch installation completes.
- Onto the workstation, after the server is updated, you will get the following message: “The Company file needs to be updated to work with this version of QuickBooks Desktop”.
You need to follow the on-screen steps, and after the backup is completed, you will be able to open the file.
How to Set-up and use the Database Server Manager?
The use of QuickBooks Database Server Manager is:
- Scan the folders for QuickBooks Company files which are going to be configured for QuickBooks Database Server Manger.
- Monitor local hard drives to repair new company files.
Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager:
- Go to Start and then choose Programs.
- Select QuickBooks and then click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDBSM).
Scan Folders feature
All the company files which are stored on the server must be scanned once in a while to make sure that they are correctly configured to allow the access of the other users to access to these company files.
- Go to the Start and then click on the Programs.
- Select QuickBooks desktop and then click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Select Scan Folders and then indicate which of the folders contains QuickBooks company files. If you are not sure where the files are stored, you can choose to scan whole disks.
- Click on Scan to start the scan. The display bar will indicate which folders are going to be scanned.
All the company files which are designed in the scanned folders for multi-user access they will be scanned automatically.
Monitored Drive Features
Whenever you add a new company files to the server, you can use the Monitored Drive features which keeps your QuickBooks Database Server Manager update.
- Click on Start button and then click on Program and then select on QuickBooks Database Manager.
- Click on the Monitored Drive tab.
- Rename and remove and then select in case you want all the local drives which you want to be monitored for company files that are added.
Database Server Features
Determine open your QB Database Server Manager
- List the users who are logged into each company file and the company files which are connected to the server.
- The status will be displayed on the services of the QuickBooks Database Server. All the services would be running when the server is hosting the company files.
- In such case, if you want to change in the status of the services and then use the Services Administrative Tool to repair the services QBDBXX.
Features of Update
In reason to download the QuickBooks Server updates use the updated features and check the versions of QuickBooks Server.
- Firstly, click on the Start button and then immediately click on Program.
- Click on QuickBooks Database Manager.
- Hit a Click on Updates.
- Follow the instructions displayed on the screen so that you can install the updates.
- Firstly hit a click on the Start menu.
- Now hit a Click on Program.
- Choose the QuickBooks Database Manager option.
- Click on System.
- Check on system information for the computer which has the database server installed on it.
I hope that this post has helped you a lot to learn on installation, updating and setting up your QuickBooks Manager. In case you are unable to fix this error on your own then feel free to seek assistance from QuickBooks Enterprise Support team by calling on their toll-free number at 1-866-707-7925
You may also like