- Last Updated on:   Jun 9th, 2020
- Posted by: QB Support Team
- Category: Enterprise Errors
Learn our quick and dependable ways to fix QuickBooks Desktop Won’t Open Error:
QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t start is a common error that many of the QB users often face. Luckily, it isn’t very difficult to fix this issue. When you click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon on your computer screen, QuickBooks may fail to start or freeze. There are lots of issues that trigger this failure and keep QuickBooks from opening. In some cases, simply rebooting your system may fix the problem. And if that doesn’t, you can move on to try some dependable troubleshooting.
This post will brief you with some of the reliable solutions to get rid of the QuickBooks desktop won’t open error. Thus, you can read this article carefully till the end, in order to get rid of the issue. Moreover, if you are short of time, or you feel resolving this issue is out of your reach, then we recommend you to get in touch with our QB professionals. You can contact our accounting professionals via our toll-free number 1-866-707-7925, and ask them to resolve the error. Our experts and experienced QuickBooks desktop support team will ensure to provide instant support services.
What is QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error ?
When this QuickBooks error appears, you receive a popup message on your screen that reads “QuickBooks won’t open or stopped working.” However, it’s not necessary that you always receive an error message whenever QuickBooks Desktop won’t appear error occurs – your computer may slow down or stop responding while opening a company file. This is a company file error and you may also receive error messages for Error 1603, QuickBooks Error 1935 or QuickBooks Error 1402 on your screen. Read on this blog post to learn about the possible causes and solutions for QuickBooks won’t open error.
You might also read: Difference between QuickBooks desktop Pro/Premier/Enterprise solutions
QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error – Causes
A wide range of factors may cause QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error. Below are some of the most common reasons:
- Your company name is longer than it’s necessary
- The QBWUSER.INI file is either missing or damaged
- A corrupted hard drive
- QuickBooks Installation wasn’t performed appropriately and either incomplete or corrupt
- Your Microsoft Windows operating system is damaged.
QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error – Symptoms
- QuickBooks Desktop freezes while you use it
- The QuickBooks version you are using is outdated
- Your computer lags and freezes sometimes
- Your computer registers and responds slowly to the commands through mouse and keyboards
- QuickBooks company file isn’t opening on your screen
Solutions for QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error
Checkout the following steps in order to resolve this problem from your QuickBooks desktop:
Step 1: Restart your computer
A mentioned earlier, before performing any other solution make sure to turn off and on your computer. Many times, just restarting your computer may fix a seemingly grave situation.
Ste 2: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool is an efficient tool that can find and fix many QuickBooks errors including the QB Desktop won’t open error. In case this tool isn’t already available with your software, you can install it for free from Intuit’s official site, install it and run it.
Step 3: Delete or rename QBWUSE.INI file
This step will help you eradicate every information save in the previously opened files.
- Press Windows and E keys simultaneously
- Go to Organize tab, select Folder and then options
- Tap on the View tab
- Go to Advanced Settings, select hidden files and folders and then show hidden files and folders and press OK
- Open My Computer, select C drive and then Documents
- Tap on your user name and go to local settings and then Application Data followed by Intuit and QuickBooks (year)
- Delete/Rename QBWUSER.INI file
- QuickBooks will itself build a new QBWUSER.INI file.
Read Also: How to resolve QuickBooks error 6000 83?
Step 5: Clean install QuickBooks desktop
If the above-mentioned steps don’t fix the issue, you can uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks. Performing a clean installation of QuickBooks desktop step would refresh your software and the latest version will be installed. This is a quicker and easier method to fix QuickBooks won’t open as well as other file errors.
Step 6: Use a different folder location to open the file
Use this step if your file folder is damaged or corrupted. Follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Press Windows and E keys simultaneously
- Find the data file with .qbw file extension
- If you are looking for a located on a network server, check network drive where the file is stored
- After spotting the file, select it and copy it (ctrl+c)
- Go to C drive and make a new folder
- Give a new name to the folder, for example, QBTEST
- Open the newly created folder and paste (ctrl+v) there
- Find Open or Restore and Existing Company and check QBTEST in C drive
- Open the company file in QBTES folder
Step 7: Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub
- The very first step is to close QuickBooks
- And then, the user needs to download the QuickBooks tool hub file. Also, save the file where it can be accessed easily. (such as downloads folder or the windows desktop)
- After that, the user needs to open the file downloaded earlier i.e. QuickBooksToolHub.exe
- Also, follow the onscreen steps to install and agree to the terms and conditions
- The last step is to, double click the icon on the windows desktop to open the tool hub, when the install finishes
The Quick fix will automatically shut down any open background processes QuickBooks uses. It will also run a quick repair on the program.
- For this, the user needs to select the program problems in the QuickBooks tools hub
- And also, select the Quick fix my program
- Lastly, start QuickBooks desktop and open the data file
Also see: Resolve QuickBooks error code 15241
The above-mentioned troubleshooting steps shall help you in fixing QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error. In case the issue persists even after performing the solution provided in this article, call our QuickBooks enterprise support team. You can give us a call at our toll-free number i.e. 1-866-707-7925, and let our professionals handle the issue on your behalf.