- Last Updated on:   Feb 6th, 2020
- Posted by: QB Support Team
- Category: Enterprise Errors
Learn how you can fix QuickBooks error 1618 when Another program is being updated
QuickBooks is a modern and user-friendly accounting and bookkeeping software that is preferred by hundreds of thousands of business owners all around the world. But like all the other computer software, QuickBooks as well is not completely free from errors. QuickBooks Error 1618 is among the most common issues that users face. This issue shows up while installing QuickBooks Desktop. The description of this QB error is often available under the Windows logs or in the installation log file of the software.
This installation error can be recognized with the error message on the screen that reads “There was a problem installing Microsoft Runtime Library (1618).” Since it’s a complicated issue, we have created this blog post for you to have detailed information about the causes and troubleshooting of QuickBooks Error 1618.
Well, reading this blog post might help you to fix the bug, but you can also get in touch with our experts and certified QuickBooks professionals. just make a call at our toll-free number i.e. +1-866-707-7925. Our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team will be happy to fix this error you. Contact us today!
You may also read: How to Resolve QuickBooks error 3140?
What is QuickBooks Error 1618?
It’s easy to spot QuickBooks Error 1618 when attempting to install or update as it flashes a message that reads on the screen:
Error: There was a problem installing Microsoft Runtime Library (Error 1618).
Error 1618. “ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING” error message when you run the Setup program to install QuickBooks programs.
The error appears when there are multiple windows installer instances running at the same time and blocking the installation process. Windows installer is the basic system requirement to install a program. Also, it’s essential to install, update, uninstall, and repair any computer application.
What are the symptoms of QuickBooks Error 1618?
The following are the signs that show that your software may be affected by QuickBooks runtime library error 1618.
- Error code 1618 shows up on the screen along with QuickBooks runtime library error message.
- The QuickBooks application keeps on freezing.
- Windows functioning slowly.
- The Computer stops functioning for the time when the error appears.
What causes QuickBooks Error 1618 Install Already Running?
There may be multiple reasons behind the occurrence of QuickBooks error 1618.
- Corrupted or incomplete installation files.
- The Windows registry may be corrupt and causing QuickBooks error 1618 install already running.
- Some essential program files might have been deleted.
How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 1618?
Here are some of the most dependable solutions to the QuickBooks Error 1608. You can resolve this error with the help of our QuickBooks enterprise support experts to save your valuable time and efforts.
Solution 1: Install and Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- Close all open applications including QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub file and store it in an easily accessible location.
- Open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and install it following the instructions prompted.
- Agree to the terms and conditions to continue the installation.
- After the installation is complete, double-click the QB icon on the desktop.
- Now go to Tool hub and select Installation Issues.
- Next, select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and run it to repair QB installation error 1618.
Solution 2: Close MSIEXEC.EXE running in the background
- Open Task Manager by Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys, on your keyboard.
- Select the Processes tab and sort the processes in alphabetic order.
- Select MSIEXEC.EXE and click on the End Process button.
- Close the Task Manager window and try to install QuickBooks Desktop again.
Solution 3: Reinstall the Microsoft Runtime Libraries
You are recommended to contact a Windows Expert for completing this process. This step requires knowledge of the Windows operating system.
- Download MS Visual C++ Redistributable package.
- Select the package Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package(x86) for 32 bit computer
- And choose Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package(x64) for 64 bit system.
- Save the downloaded package on an easily accessible location or the desktop.
- Rename the package as exe or vcredist_X86.exe.
- Follow the prompts.
- Restart your computer and reinstall QuickBooks.
See Also: Steps to Fix QuickBooks error 6000
Solution 4: Create a backup for the Windows registry
- From the Windows taskbar, click on Start button.
- Open Run command (Windows +R keys).
- Type in Regedit and click OK button.
- Go to My Computer and open the file menu and Export.
- Select All Option in Export Range.
- Save the created registry backup on the desktop and delete the keys.
- The deletion of the keys will also delete all the sub-keys.
Solution 5: Update the version of windows installer
- Log in as an Admin to your computer.
- Check if the Windows Installer is updated.
- If not, go to My Computer.
- Open C:\WINDOWS\system32 and right-click on the exe file.
- Select Properties and then choose Version.
- Here, you will find all the information related to the Windows Installer’s version.
- Update the software if updates are available.
- Restart the computer and see if you in install and QuickBooks Desktop.
Read Also: How to solve QuickBooks error 30159?
The five solutions mentioned in this post are the most successful ways to fix QuickBooks Error 1618. The installation error should be fixed after trying the troubleshooting steps mentioned above.