- Last Updated on:   Feb 24th, 2020
- Posted by: QB Support Team
- Category: Enterprise Errors
Here is how you can Resolve QuickBooks Error code C=272
For the past few years we have noticed stark changes in the way accounting is done. And all thanks to the software by Intuit called QuickBooks. It is an accounting application which has many powerful features like managing finances and payroll, taking care of the inventory etc. Since this software has many benefits, most small and medium sized businesses are depending on it. The best part is that every year a new version of QuickBooks is launched by Intuit with newer and better features.
Even though QuickBooks is an amazing application, it is not immune to any kind of error or technical glitches. One of the common issues faced by the users is QuickBooks error C=272 when they try to run the QuickBooks verify Data Utility or QuickBooks Rebuild Data Utility tool in the system. This error disrupts the work process and also causes delays and that’s why it needs to be resolved at the earliest. However, it is very important to understand the causes of the error to come up with the solution for the same.
Causes of QuickBooks error code C=272
- This error can happen due to data damage
- When you try to navigate a report or similar type of data
- It also happens when 1099 and W2 forms are printed
- Running a memorized report in your QuickBooks that was made in an earlier version was not converted in the proper manner.
- A simple way to fix the issue is by restarting QuickBooks and if the problem persists even after that then it might be the case of ‘damaged data’.
Steps to resolve the QuickBooks error code C=272
Before you start with the steps, you need to rule out any possibility of data damage and just make an attempt to open the company file. In case, you notice that the error is still there then disable the Windows 10 Compatibility Mode.
Step 1: The first thing to do is to open QuickBooks sample company file
- Press and Hold the tab Ctrl, when you are opening QuickBooks
- When the No Company Open Window is displayed in front of you Release the Ctrl tab
- If, the error occurs before the No Company Open Windows’ pop up on the screen then you have to go ahead with the next step
- Click ‘Open sample file’ option and then choose a sample file from the list
- Now you have to try opening the sample file.
Note: In case, you see the sample company file is opening and the error doesn’t show up, then you have to go to ‘Verifying and Rebuilding QuickBooks company data’ or ‘restore a company file from backup’. And if still the issue is not resolved while opening the sample company files then try out the next step.
Step 2: Disable Windows 10 Compatibility mode with QuickBooks Desktop Shortcut Icon
- The first thing to do is to right-click on the QuickBooks shortcut icon
- After this you have to choose Properties
- Now click on the Compatibility Tab
- Once done, you have to unmark the checkbooks which says ‘Run the program in compatibility‘
- Now tap on OK button.
- After this click on Cancel and go ahead with the next step.
Step 3: Disable Windows Compatibility mode setting for ‘QBW32.EXE’ file
- Firstly on the Windows Desktop, right-click on the QuickBooks icon
- After this click on Properties
- Once done, open the QuickBooks installation folder and click on the shortcut tab
- Now click on Find Target
- Then right-click in the QBW32.EXE file and then click on the Properties option
- Followed by clicking on Compatibility
- Now unmark the checkbox ‘Run program in compatibility‘
- Click on OK
- If the checkbox is not marked then click on the Cancel option
- Now close the Windows Explorer Window and QuickBooks desktop shortcut properties
See Also: What is QuickBooks file doctor tool?
Step 4: Open QuickBooks and the Company File
- You need to open your QuickBooks desktop and also the company file to check that the error is solved.
All the above mentioned steps can easily fix the QuickBooks error code C=272. However, if still the problem doesn’t get resolved then you can always connect with the QuickBooks enterprise support experts available 24/7.