- Last Updated on:   Jan 11th, 2020
- Posted by: QB Support Team
- Category: Enterprise Errors
Here are the most common reasons and solutions of QuickBooks Error H505.
When a user tries to open a company file on a computer from a different computer Error code H505 appears on the computer screen. (Check out the following image of QuickBooks error code H505)
Small and mid-sized businesses all around the globe count on QuickBooks for its user-friendliness and multitasking features. This is a robust accounting software that can even be used by more than one users at the same time (depends on the version you buy) and from remote locations.
However, the software does receive some errors occasionally. Mostly, the issues can be fixed using the prompts offered by the software. And sometimes they may require some troubleshooting either by the users or by an expert. Dial toll-free 1-866-707-7925 to speak with our QuickBooks enterprise support expert and save your time and efforts.
One common issue that we are going to discuss in this article is QuickBooks Error H505. This issue occurs with multi-user hosting set up. You may face it when attempting to access your QuickBooks file on a different computer that lacks some installation setup. Such issues cause error H505.
Important: This error code belongs to a series of errors that involve the hosting setting such as QuickBooks Error Codes H101, H202, H505, etc. All these errors occurs due to the same issue – a user trying to approach the company file in multi-user mode or a system that has an incomplete installation set-up of the accounting software.
QuickBooks Error Code H505 – Possible Reasons
Some of the causes of this error code are as following:
- The QuickBooks file you are trying to access is located on some other computer.
- QuickBooks installed and available in the system server name is set-up to consent to all the shared connections to the company file, however, the QuickBooks accounting software is failing to communicate resulting in error H202.
- When you try to open your company file stored on another computer that involves additional installation and setup for an appropriate approach resulting in Error Codes H101, H303, and H505.
- Your system’s firewall or antivirus is blocking access to the computer where the company file is stored.
- .ND file may be damaged.
- The required hosting configuration setting is not appropriate.
- QuickBooks failed to acquire the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the system where the company file is stored.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error code H505
- The error code H505 can be identified easily, if the multi-user mode cannot be used.
- Or if the user fails to open the QuickBooks company file stored on the server.
- Also, in case the QuickBooks program window gets crashed, the user might encounter such issue.
- Another indication of the same can be when QuickBooks error code H505 flashes on the screen.
- If the system or laptop crashes frequently, then it is a symptom of Error code H505.
- Windows might become unresponsive and freeze periodically or software freezes.
You’ll also read: Reconcile accounts in QuickBooks
Steps to Fix QuickBooks Error H505
Try these solution steps in order to resolve the QuickBooks error code H505:
Solution 1: Make changes in your system’s firewall settings and create exceptions
- First of all, Click the Windows key on the keyboard and go to Control Panel.
- Click on Control Panel and then Firewall Settings.
- After that choose Allow a Program through your system’s Firewall.
- Click on Add Program and include QuickBooks 20xx to the exception list.
- Restart your computer to save the changes.
Add the following ports according to the version of your QuickBooks software:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2015: 8019, 56725, 55363-55367
- QuickBooks Desktop 2016: 8019, 56726, 55368-55372
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
Solution 2: Assess QuickBooks Hosting Settings
- Firstly Open QuickBooks on both the systems configured as multi-user.
- Click on File.
- Click on Utilities.
- Discontinue Hosting Multi-User Configuration.
- Turn on Hosting through File in one system and then click Utilities option.
- Host Multi User Configuration.
- Restart QuickBooks software on both the QuickBooks.
Solution 3: Make changes in the setting of your QuickBooks folder location
- Make a New folder on the hosting system.
- Share the folder.
- Set/change Windows access permissions to share company files (contact an IT professional if you are not able to access the QB file server).
- Copy .qbw file and paste it to the new folder.
- Open your company file in multi-user mode.
Read also: Steps to solve QuickBooks error 6123
Solution 4: Use QuickBooks File Doctor tool
- Firstly download and Install the QuickBooks file doctor tool to repair the damaged company files.
- Hit a click on Run button to execute the file doctor tool.
- This tool will take up-to 20 mins time to scan and detect the problem.
The above-mentioned solutions shall enable you to fix QuickBooks Error H505 and resume working. However, on the off chance that the issue persists, you can contact us for this error or any other QuickBooks related issue at 1-866-707-7925 and speak to our QuickBooks experts.
You may also like: