- Last Updated on:   Jan 15th, 2020
- Posted by: QB Support Team
- Category: Enterprise Solutions
Here is how to use QuickBooks file doctor to diagnose and repair errors like a pro
Fixing damaged or corrupted company files now becomes easy with QuickBooks File Doctor tool. Launched in the year 2012 by Intuit, this tool is extremely helpful and allows the user to use the company file without any error. The tool is rightly called File Doctor as it is used for resolving the issues faced by QB users while working on the QuickBooks software. Intuit has launched two company file diagnostic tools namely QuickBooks company file identification tool and QuickBooks network connectivity diagnostic tool.
If you are having any data and files related issues, can QuickBooks file doctor can be a savior for you. QBFD checks the damaged or corrupted company file and performs necessary actions to resolve the bug as quickly as possible/ This tool is included in QuickBooks desktop 2016 and versions released after that. QBFD can be of great use to you if you are facing data damage or received QuickBooks -6000 errors keeping you from opening or accessing a particular file.
You may also read: How to use QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool?
In today’s article, we are going to discuss all the facts associated with QuickBooks file doctor tool. Thus, if you want to know more about this tool, then make sure to read this article carefully. Or you can also get in touch with our QuickBooks support team for any further information.
Reach out to our team of experts and certified QuickBooks professionals via our toll-free number i.e. +1-866-707-7925.
Brief into QuickBooks file doctor tool
QuickBooks file doctor has been designed in a way to assist the QuickBooks users to get rid of the various QuickBooks company file related bugs. The QuickBooks file doctor tool is developed after combining the features of QuickBooks network diagnostic tool and QuickBooks company file diagnostic tool. This tool detects file errors and fixes it instantly. Types of QBFD:
- Built-in QuickBooks file doctor tool- This version of QuickBooks is available in QB 2016 all later versions of QuickBooks 2016.
- Stand alone version- This version can be easily downloaded from the internet.
When to use QuickBooks File Doctor?
QuickBooks File Doctor comes handy in solving many of the common QB issues. In fact, we recommend you to run QBFD as the first solution whenever you receive any issue with your accounting software. Use it whenever you receive any issue when opening a company file, have completely damaged company files, network errors (like H101, H202, H303, H505, etc.) or error code 6000 (QB Error -6000, -82, QB Error -6000, -305, QB Error -6147, etc.) pop up.
The errors that can be fixes with the help of QuickBooks file doctor tool are as follows:
- Any kind of company file errors
- QuickBooks 6000 series errors
- Various installation errors
- Empty customer lists and vendor list issues
- Multi-user errors
- Data damaged and windows registry
- H series errors
Important Facts about QuickBooks File Doctor
- Always uninstall the existing QBFD tool before downloading the latest version of File Doctor.
- All QuickBooks versions post 2015 come equipped with QB File Doctor and it’s advisable to install and run external file doctor tool to fix complicated QuickBooks errors.
- The tool has no compatibility issue with any Windows Versions of QuickBooks Desktops.
- The tool doesn’t work with QuickBooks for MAC.
- QuickBooks File Doctor tool has two types:
- Built-in file doctor, which is available in all QuickBooks 2016 and later versions.
- QuickBooks File Doctor stand-alone version, which can be easily downloaded from the internet.
- The tool may pop up itself in case of a few errors. All you are required to do in those cases is to click the start button and let it finish its work. You can open and run QBFD by following the below-mentioned tips if it doesn’t show up automatically.
Read Also: What is QuickBooks database server manager?
How to Use QuickBooks File Doctor?
Learn the ways to use the QuickBooks file doctor tool.
Steps to Use Stand-Alone version
- Firstly, check if your QuickBooks Desktop has the latest version of QB File Doctor. You can also uninstall whatever version of QBFD you are using and install the latest version.
- QuickBooks File Doctor tool shall only be downloaded from Intuit’s official website. In case you have the latest version of the tool, you can click “RUN” and proceed.
- After that double click on “QBFD” and follow the instructions that appear on the screen. After the installation process is over, use it to fix the issues. If the tool is not visible on the screen, use “Windows Taskbar” to open it.
- Now click on “Browse” option and find the damaged QuickBooks company file. Start QuickBooks File diagnostics to start troubleshooting.
- Choose from two following two options:
- If you have received -6000 series error or you think that your company file is damaged, you can select the first option.
- In case of QuickBooks Error H101, Error H202, Error H303, Error H505, or other Network related issues, select the second option.
- When asked, enter your “Company File Admin Password” and click “Next” option.
- After that choose the appropriate option to proceed with diagnosing and fixing the error.
- Select the first option, i.e, Workstation if you are performing diagnosis and troubleshooting on a client’s system. It denotes that the particular QuickBooks company file isn’t stored or hosted on the client’s computer system.
- Pick the second option, i.e. Server when you are diagnosing and troubleshooting issues on a QuickBooks Client Computer that means the QuickBooks company file isn’t stored or hosted on that system.
- Select “Yes” if you are using QuickBooks Server / Host and “No” if QuickBooks Workstation.
- Allow QBFD to complete diagnosing and fixing any possible problem. The duration of this process may vary depending on the size of the QuickBooks Company File, the speed of Local Area Network and the severity or level of the issues with the company file.
- Close QBFD tool.
- Finally Open your company file. (Hope you all problems are now fixed)
Read also: Fix QuickBooks Error Code 80029c4a
Steps to Use Built-in version of QBFD
Built-in, also called internal QuickBooks File Doctor, spots errors and starts fixing them automatically. Click “Start” when a QBFD window opens and let the tool work to fix the issues. The rest of the selections will be similar to stand-alone File Doctor instructions.
- Open QuickBooks (without opening the damaged company file).
- Open “File menu” and select “Utilities“.
- Click on “Repair File” and then “Network Problems” to launch QBFD.
- Now Hit a click “Browse” and find the company file that requires a diagnosis.
- Click “Repair” and then select “Open” opt.
- Select the type of fix you want your file to undergo from the Show Advanced Settings drop-down.
- Click on “Next” option.
- Enter the “Admin ID and password” for the company file and select “Next“.
- Allow the diagnosis and repairing process to complete and open the QuickBooks company file.
Actions to perform after QuickBooks File Doctor completes repair and diagnosis:
- Once the tool finishes diagnosis, you need to close File Doctor tool.
- As per the screen instructions, try to open your QuickBooks file again to verify that the issue has been resolved.
To conclude this article, we hope that you now know how to use QuickBooks File Doctor. In case you need any assistance related to this file repairing tool, you can dial our QuickBooks enterprise support line at toll-free +1-866-707-7925 and speak to our certified experts.