Have you recently faced the QuickBooks Printer not activated error? The chances are you have been using the print your documents from QuickBooks options wrong. Reasons like your operating system not aligning with the QuickBooks existing version create such problems while printing. In this post we are going to discuss about the solution of QuickBooks printing problems.
If you are running your QuickBooks 2009 on Windows 10, this obviously shows the evidence of automatic notifications of updates have stopped working like the QuickBooks does not update on its own. In comparison to Windows 10 which you will find updating itself twice on an average in a month, QuickBooks has stopped working automatically updating itself since May 2012. Therefore, technical compatibility issues are one of the reasons for QuickBooks Error Code 20.
Major Reasons for QuickBooks Error Code 20
- Compatibility between Windows 10 and QuickBooks downloaded version in your desktop.
- QuickBooks hasn’t been updated from your end.
- Printer device itself isn’t working to support the QuickBooks printing system.
- Issues, grown from the QuickBooks Windows Registry.
- Your Application Key needs to be the latest and updated, which it’s not.
Easy Steps to Follow For Fixing QuickBooks Error 20
First of all, you need to ensure that you do have the administration access in your desktop, otherwise, the solutions explained below will not be able to fix the QuickBooks Error 20. You can also take help from our QuickBooks support team to save your time and efforts.
Task 1: Make A Registry Backup and System Restore Point
- Go to the search tab and type Regedit and right-click it to select the option Run as Administrator.
- Go the Computer section, click the file, and save it.
Now to create a System Restore Point in your Desktop (These steps majorly work for Windows 7,8, 10 and the other versions of the latest windows.)
- Right-click This PC icon on your desktop window screen and select Properties.
- Now, click System Protection from the left pane on the screen of the Properties popped-up window.
- Choose the System Protection divider on the new pop up window and you will see the option to Create new restore points. Click it.
- Type in the Description of the desired restore point and again click Create. It will take merely a minute or two, depending upon the network connection and the processing speed of your operating system.
Task 2: Use Configuration of User Permission
- Follow the same procedure as earlier, and find Regedit on the search option on your Windows PC.
- After opening it with Run as Administrator option, double-click on the HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG folder on the left side window pane under the drop-down menu of the Computer section.
- Now, do a right-click on the Software folder to find the Permissions option to select from the given menu.
- When the window pops up, allot “Full Control” to the “Users” if in case it’s not already assigned and after doing so, simply click OK to move ahead.
Task 3: Check the QuickBooks PDF Capabilities with QBprint.qbp file & Repair It
- Search the Control Panel from the Windows search and go to Programs and Features under it.
- Scroll down the list of the programs installed on your desktop and find QuickBooks.
- Right-click it to select Change option and initiate the repairing only to follow the lead by the given set of instruction to the end.
- After the QuickBooks Repair is done, the best advice for you is to restart the computer device and let the updates take place at a faster speed.
- Now, try printing a document or save it as a PDF from the QuickBooks software you have installed or have been using till now. This probably will solve the notorious QuickBooks Error code 20 that hampers seamless printing of your important documents on time.
Task 4: Check and Configure Print Spooler Service
- Press Windows + R keys at the same time and type MSC in the window that pops up named Run Box.
- Try the right-click option on the Print Spooler Service from the list of services shown to select the option of Properties later on.
- Click on the Stop button to stop the Print Spooler Service.
- Wait a few seconds and then click the Start button to initiate the services again.
- Close all the window pop-ups now and try printing a document or saving a PDF to print directly from the QuickBooks. Hopefully, chances are your QuickBooks Error Code 20 will be resolved.
Task 5: Update Your Windows or/and Install QuickBooks Once Again
First of all, keep a note of your QuickBooks License and Product Number before carrying the steps mentioned below.
- Go to the Control Panel and click Programs and Features’ option.
- Scroll down the list of the programs installed that you see and find QuickBooks amongst them.
- Click Uninstall QuickBooks with a right-click and follow the remaining instructions, if any are mentioned while the uninstalling procedure runs.
- Now you have to download and install the windows updates, after which you will need to restart the computer.
- After all that is done, insert the CD in the system or find the already installed extension file of the QuickBooks software to initiate the installation of QuickBooks again.
- Follow any steps that are again mentioned you would need to follow while you are reinstalling the QuickBooks software. Also, keep in mind it will take a few minutes. So please be patient and avoid running any other applications in the background.
- Finally, when you should be able to print the necessary documents after your software has been reinstalled as it resolves many errors automatically with the reinstallation.
Task 6: Checking the Solutions of the Microsoft Document Writer – Windows’ pre installed component
Microsoft Document Writer facilitates Windows capabilities to support QuickBooks in saving information in any formats like PDF. However, if this window component is not found, you will face trouble like QuickBooks Error Code 20 when you want to print a document from the QuickBooks software installed on your desktop.
Here’s how you ensure you don’t face that problem:
- Find the QuickBooks icon on your main window screen and right click it to select Open File Location.
- Get to Temp folder and look out for the folder matching the version of your current QuickBooks software.
- Browse the cursor along that folder to further open the Third-Party folder inside.
- Find Exe file; double click it for installation.
- Now, you have to go back after the installation is done. Go to the main QuickBooks software and open it to register the license.
- Though, if any case, the installation stops in the middle, you can start it again, there’s no issue with that.
- Once everything said is done, try printing your desired documents from the QuickBooks itself. You wouldn’t be facing the QuickBooks Error Code 20 anymore.
This blog post is created after consulting certified QuickBooks experts to help you fix QuickBooks Error 20. If in a rare case, none of the solution tasks mentioned above work, you must contact a professional for assistance. Our QuickBooks enterprise support experts boast years of experience and cutting-edge tools and technology in fixing a wide range of QuickBooks related issues. You can contact us at +1-866-707-7925 and expect quick and precise solutions for your accounting related issues.
Checkout these similar articles too