- Last Updated on:   Jan 18th, 2020
- Posted by: QB Support Team
- Category: QuickBooks
Discover the steps to update QuickBooks Desktop
Willing to update your QuickBooks to the latest version? Well, almost each one of us is aware that Intuit provides updates to QuickBooks that can be downloaded from the internet. These updates are also known as maintenance releases or patches. Many of QuickBooks users get confused with the upgrades, but it is not as typical as it looks. Upgrades and updates add significant new features or functions to the program. Therefore, it is important to download every available update, in order to enjoy amazing new features and functionalities.
To get details about QuickBooks desktop enterprise installation, you can get in touch with our QuickBooks enterprise support team at +1-866-707-7925. Our Intuit certified experts have wide range of knowledge about the product knowledge and help you to install your software swiftly.
As per the QB experts, the new QuickBooks desktop features comes with new ways of learning along with demonstrations that showcase the use of QuickBooks Desktop. Also, this edition spotlights a few more features including:
- Easy version upgrades
- Condensed data file optimization
- Customer invoice history tracker
Read also: What is QuickBooks Error Code 1321?
How to check whether your QuickBooks desktop is updated?
Updating QuickBooks involves various methods, the first one is automatic and the other one is using the manual method. Before you choose for any of the methods, it is recommended to check whether there are any updates installed or not. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- To begin with, the user needs to open QuickBooks and then press Ctrl + 1 or F2 key on the keyboard, in order to reach to the Product Information window.
- After that, on the product information window, the user needs to check the version and latest release of the QuickBooks patch.
- The last step is to compare the latest version of QuickBooks patch.
Ways to Update QuickBooks desktop to latest release
Basically, there are three methods excluding manual update that can be followed to download the update from the internet and each of the methods requires a good speed internet connection.
Let us explore each of the methods one by one:
- Automatic Update Method (default setting)
- On-Demand (Immediate) Update Method
- Release Download
- Manual Update
Once the QuickBooks updates are successfully downloaded, QuickBooks automatically install the all important files to the right location on your computer.
1. Automatic Update Method
As the name states, in this method, QuickBooks automatically checks the Intuit server for new updates. Also, the update is downloaded when the internet connection is not in use. As per the default setting of QuickBooks, whether the software is running or not on the system, it will automatically download the available updates from the Intuit server.
It should be noted that this feature or setting of QuickBooks can be disabled, in case you don’t want QuickBooks to update automatically. For the ones who are not aware of how to disable the automatic update, we have jotted down the steps to disable this feature. Let us have a look:
- The very first step is to click on “Update QuickBooks” from the Help “Menu”.
- Then, Click on the options tab in the “Update QuickBooks” window.
- Now, select the option as per your requirements. i.e. whether to disable or enable update.
- Choose the update you want to get and also eliminate the updates from the update section that you do not wish to update If you want to enable the Automatic Update option.
- If you disabled the option after that you will not get any notification even if there is any type of upgrade are readily available on the Intuit web server.
- Now click on the “Save” option and then tap on close.
Schedule future automatic updates
If the user don’t want to download updates now, he/she can schedule them to download later on. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- First of all, the user needs to visit the help menu and then select update QuickBooks.
- And then, move to the options tab.
- The next step is to select yes to turn on automatic updates.
- The last step is to select Close.
2. Immediate Update Method
The next method is the immediate update method. In this method, one can download the update from the Intuit server directly on the computer. Regardless of the fact that QuickBooks is running in the system or is close.
QuickBooks users can use this option at any time and immediately download the updates even in the case when the automatic update is enabled in the software. The catch in this method is that the user is required to check for updates approximately once a month.
3. Release Download
In case the QuickBooks users are facing the problem with update feature, or if they do not want to install updates by using the update feature, they can download and install available updates. It is strongly needed that one must use the update feature to install the available QuickBooks Updates.
Download Updates for Multi-User Mode in QuickBooks Pro & Premier
For using QuickBooks Desktop Pro or Premier in multi-user mode, you have to install the update on each computer you are utilizing. You can link all your systems to the Internet as well as download and install all the updates. Also you can download and install the update in one computer on your network as well as share it.
Easy steps for sharing the updates the users need must complete the given process:
- Firstly you need to open the “Shared company file“.
- After that click on “Update QuickBooks“, from the “Help” menu
- Visit to the “Options” tab and hit a single click on it.
- Now you need to set the “Share Download” option to “Yes“.
- Finally click on the “Save” button.
Following the above-listed steps would definitely help you to update QuickBooks desktop to latest release version, especially when followed correctly. If you face any sort of difficulty, it is suggested to get in touch with our QuickBooks support team of experts at +1-866-707-7925 and get all your queries answered.